Full Time, Days
Manages decontamination and sterilization of equipment, instruments and supplies. Performs tests and maintains records for biological monitoring, courier assistance, and minor maintenance. Efficiently provides surgical services that exceed customer expectations and improve clinical and financial operations.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Checks counters and equipment surfaces in the nursing and instrument areas surrounding the O.R. for absence of dust.
- Responsible for:
- Arranging instruments and supplies in convenient manner in appropriate storage areas.
- Following appropriate sterilization for instruments and other medical supplies as outlined in the policies and procedures.
- Remaining available to nursing staff and/or physicians in and around the O.R. to ensure appropriate instruments and supplies are obtainable.
- Collects instruments at end of each case for cleaning and sterilization.
- Responsible for being familiar with and carrying out Autoclave Sterilization according to policy including:
- Packaging and Wrapping for Sterilization
- Loading Sterilizer for Proper Sterilization
- Sterilization Record keeping
- Monitoring of Autoclave Sterilization and sterile instruments/supplies
- Assists in cleaning instrument and nursing areas surrounding surgery suite. Assist as needed in cleaning of the O.R. under supervision of O.R. nursing staff.
- Ensures routine maintenance of Autoclave and informs the O.R. Nurse Manager of any malfunction or possible need for repair.
- Carries out biological monitoring of the autoclave(s).
- Performs cold sterilization on appropriate instruments and supplies according to policy.
- Performs other tasks as part of the O.R. team as assigned by the O.R. Nurse Manager and/or other O.R. nursing team members, including retrieving phone messages, assisting to wheel patient gurneys, assisting with medical supply inventory, etc.
- Actively participates in the Quality Improvement program and other ongoing risk management and safety programs as part of the O.R. team.
- Interacts with all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees in a mature, responsible manner to ensure a positive and professional surgery center environment.
- Uses good body mechanics.
- Actively protects patient and self by following OSHA and other standards reviewed in annual training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Actively supports and upholds the mission and core values of the Hospital.
- Remains knowledgeable of and follows the policies of the Hospital.
- Maintains patient and hospital confidentiality at all times.
- Keeps Manager apprised of day to day situations.
Qualifications & Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent. Certification as SPD Technician preferred, BCLS (Basic Cardiac Life Support) training preferred.
Environmental & Physical Requirements
The employee works in a temperature controlled environment. Job requires physical ability for long term standing, occasional sitting, crouching, kneeling, frequent walking, reaching with reaching above head and below waist. Job risks include exposure to blood and body fluids (high), contact with laser and chemicals, lifting up to 50 pounds, and exposure to infectious disease. Candidate must be able to read, write and speak English fluently, have cognitive skills for math, reading, filing and sterile technique skills. Communication skills to deal well with employees, patients, families and physicians. Vision for near, mid-range, far and accommodation. Hearing for low, medium, and high pitch.
1-year previous experience in sterile processing preferred.
KSSH provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or any other protected category as required by state and federal law.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their resumes to email@example.com.